Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Weekend in Auckland: Gearing up for the RWC

August 2011
So to cut down on my Sunday work travel (and really who needs an excuse to stay in Auckland for the rugby?), DH flew over to visit for the weekend. We didn't do a whole lot of touristy things, having done a lot of them before, and our main focus was the All Blacks v. Wallabies game. Some would say we (the Wallabies) got hammered, and yes at one stage I was a bit worried that it would be a one sided game, but I have to say it was enjoyable and the 30 to 14 scoreline wasn't all that bad.


Even though Eden Park wasn't at it's new capacity, it was still packed, and it's a bit different from the games in Sydney, where there's a 50/50 supporter split, I seemed to be the only one cheering when the Wallabies scored. I would question how "world cup" ready Auckland really are in terms of transport. No Kiwi wants to hear, talk to the Aussies about how they do it, but really they could learn a thing or two from the SCG and Bruce Stadium (comparing it to Homebush would be unfair, we did build that one fit for purpose). Having said that, I am excited about the 2 games we managed to get tickets to.

To do
Check out my last Auckland post for the basics here
Also check out my Waiheke Island post here


One Tree Hill and Cornwell Park





Eat
Love a Duck - Hong Kong Chinese at it's best
Lord Nelson - love the Caper and Blue Cheese Steak
Shaky Isles - great breakfast and coffee in town
Daikoku Britomart - The best fresh, handmade Ramen I've had
Manuka Cafe Davenport - the ratings online aren't that good, but I would go back, we had the muscle fritters

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that I'm pretty jealous that you were at that game. Seeing the All Blacks play at home is one of my lifetime sporting goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie the best place to see this game is Homebush stadium, the fan split is nearly 50/50 between the all blacks and the wallabies, the vibe is huge. We're off to Brisbane for the next game and it will be interesting to see what the numbers are like.

    ReplyDelete