Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Walks of the World

I'm not exactly as fit our adventurous as this post may lead you to believe, but there is no better way to see certain parts of the world than by walking. So these are my top 5, based on what I've gathered from conversations with my fellow travellers.

1. Bay of Fires, Australia

Named the hottest travel destination by Lonely Planet in 2009, for photos it's easy to see why. There are two options, the four day luxury method, staying in cabins and the Bay of Fires Lodge, or the independent method, BYO tent.



It's actually on our "to do and see" list for the not too distant future, keep your eye out.

2. Milford Track, New Zealand

My parents did this a couple of years ago, having said that it's not for the faint hearted (or the unfit). It's 55 km over 4 nights, and once again can be through the independent route, or via a group. I've heard great things about it from the handful of people I know who have completed the walk, but each one has said it would have been different if it had rained, and the spot is notorious for rain.



3. Inca Trail, Peru

Depending on what you read or who you talk to, this one can be described as moderate to worse than Everest...however at the moment DH and I are seriously debating do this one. Every person we've spoken to that has done it, said that nothing beats looking out over Machu Picchu on the morning of your last day. Only time will tell if we sign on for the 4 day, 42 km walk.



4. Kokoda Track, PNG

This walk is iconiclly Australian, due to the link during WWII. This is a walk I have never seriously thought of doing. It's difficult, it's long, it's humid. Those who have done it that I know usually have a family tie or are young. It's 96 km long and can take anywhere between 4 and 12 days. It is classified as a difficult trek.



5. Appalachian Trail, USA

This is a trail that goes over 14 states, so the beauty of it is that you can choose which part to walk, or attempt the whole thing. There's apparently a 2000 mile club, and while it sounds appealing, the distance to get to the trail from Australia hinders my desire to actually walk it.

No comments:

Post a Comment