There's quite a rivalry between Sydneysiders and Melbournites, I'm currently spending a fair amount of time in Melbourne for work and while I get part of the argument (good cafe culture, European feel), in my opinion you can't beat Sydney harbour.
However DH and I did manage to fill in our weekend with the best Melbourne had to offer (although we didn't manage to get to an AFL game).
Quest Apartments SXY in South Yarra is a great base, just outside the city (within walking distance), and on the door of Chapel Street and Tourk Road.
- Pizza and bar snacks at Little Creatures , Fitzroy on the Friday night
- Huxtaburgers , Collingwood for a very late night dinner - DH had the original and I had the Denise - the spicy version - unfortunately I ate too quickly to take pictures!
- A late breakfast/brunch at Kazbar, Chapel Street
- Babble Bar and Cafe ,Prahran
- Hunkey Dory for fish and chips (or squid, salad and rice!)
- Breakfast at Two Birds One Stone - make sure you go before 9 am, because it gets very busy
- Dumplings at The Dumpling Table - Toorak Road
- The Grace Darling Hotel in Collingwood
- The Station Hotel to watch the Wallabies vs. The All Blacks (mainly Kiwis, fellow Aussies you've been warned!).
- Take a walk, run or bike ride along the Capital City Trail on the Yarra River
- Check out Federation Square
- Have a wonder down Chapel Street for high end fashion at one end and vintage wear down the other
- Catch the tram out to the Queen Victoria Markets
- Have a coffee at Docklands, with great views of the water and city skyline
- Enjoy the Art Deco buildings