Tuesday, September 13, 2011

USA National Parks Top 5: Been and to go

The USA has a significant number of spectacular national parks, and surprisingly it's not well known. The National Parks were my selling point when I was talking DH into going to the US for the first time. Below in my top 5 list of the national parks I've been to and the top 5 of where we want to visit next.

Been


One of the first National Parks I ever visited, I have such found memories of this area as a kid. The most spectacular part is the largest living thing in the world. General Sherman.



Probably one of the more well know parks in California, the scenery is stunning.

  




It can't be said enough the pictures of the Grand Canyon you see do not prepare you for what you will see when you actually get there. It's spectacular and I would suggest spending more time than a day trip from Vegas.

The only one I don't have my own pictures for (it was prior to the digital age!). It's also the only entry on the east coast. This is probably due to the fact that most of our most recent travel has been to the west coast and I grew up on the west coast. I'm sure there's plenty more on the other side of the country!




Probably one of the more unknown National Parks, but located within an hours drive from the Strip in Las Vegas. We even saw people getting their wedding photos taken under the arch!


To Go


America's first National Park, spanning three states (Wyoming, Montana and Idaho). Old Faithful is probably it's most well know site, but there's plenty of other activities and sights to see.




Part of the Navajo Nation, it sits in both Arizona and Utah and is one of the most photographed locations in the USA.



Where the presidents are carved in stone. Construction began in 1927 and completed in 1941.




The colours in the rocks are stunning. I wonder if the sun rising/setting changes what the colour are or what shades they become.



The park highlights two of the world's most active volcanoes, and offers insights on the birth of the Hawaiian Islands and views of dramatic volcanic landscapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment